Friday, October 21, 2011

don't let your leftovers turn on you

Source: None via janis on Pinterest

Do you know how long your left overs are going to be safe to eat? I had food poisoning about 12 months ago from a sub I ate. I don't want to out the company but if it was a sub sandwich it's safe to bet who it was. Right? From that time on I've been very conscious about storing food carefully and safely. Do you know what the guidelines are?

Most experts say leftovers are safe to eat 4 days tops but I like to stick to 3 days to be safe.

Store leftovers promptly but putting food away into the fridge or freezer right away.

If you know you won't eat the leftovers within 3-4 days pop it into the freezer.

Your aim should be to reduce the amount of time that food temp is in the 'danger zone' which is between 40 F (4 C) and 140 F (60 C)


Another thing I like to do is to keep a record of what we have eaten when on the calendar so we can track how many days food has been about for.