Friday, October 14, 2011

the ultimate low fat comfort food



I'm a very picky soup eater. I've had a few average soup experiences in my life so have become wary! Are you a soup lover?
About 3 years ago I had the best wot ton soup of my life in a very surprising place. Sydney Airport! My flight was delayed well into the night and I wasn't about to miss dinner. After shunning all the usual fast food places I came upon a noodle bar and ordered the won ton soup.The whole time I was eating it I kept thinking. "How can this be so impossibly delicious!?" Airport food is supposed to be a bit of a drag right? After that steaming bowl of comforting subtle flavours, divine juxtaposition of textures and a happy fully belly I set about making my own.

Won Ton Soup
175g pork mince
100g raw prawn meat
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp soy sauce
1 tso sesame oil
1 spring onion finely chopped
1 1/2 tsp freshly grated ginger
1 tbsp finely chopped water chestnuts
a packet of won ton wrappers
500ml campbells chicken stock
300ml water
2 pack of pak choy
1 package of hokkien noodles
3 spring onions finely chopped (garnish)
3 tsp fresh ginger chopped super fine (garnish)

mix pork mince, prawn meat, salt, soy sauce, oil, spring onion, ginger and water chestnuts

work with on won ton wrapper at a time, pop a level teaspoon of mixture onto the wrapper and brush the edges of the wrapper with water. Bring the sides up together to form a pouch and pinch the edges together tightly

pour the chicken stock and water into a saucepan to simmer (keep for later)

cook the won tons in batches a pan full of simmering water. won tons will take approximately 4-5 minutes per batch

in a large noodle bowl pop 2 stems of trimmed pak choy a handful of noodles. when the won tons are cooked  divide then equally amongst the bowls and pour over the stock until it covers the noodles. garnish with spring onions and fresh ginger