Saturday, May 19, 2012

cheap cheap soup soup

Source: ikea.com via Jesyka on Pinterest


I love a delicious dinner just like every one but have realised lately that my food budget really needs some reining in. So I turn to my humble slow cooker 'betsy' to help out along with a few basic and inexpensive ingredients. This afternoon with an autumn nip in the air we tucked into a lovely vegetable soup that's been bubbling away since lunch. Although soup is a good option I do want to gag by half way through if it's the smooth no lumps type. My soups need a bit of body to them if they're going to stick around on my 'make again' list so I give you the most delicious and perfect....

Vegetable Soup with Gnocchi

1 carrot 
1 long stalk of celery trimmed
1 medium onion
4 cloves of garlic 
1 medium/big potato
1 parsnip
1 tin of tomatoes
water
baby gnocchi 
salt
1 tbsp mixed dried herbs
pepper 
grated cheese to garnish

peel and roughly chop all the veggies (no need to chop the garlic) no need to be fancy because it's all getting mooshed up later any way!
tumble them all into the slow cooker
add the tinned tomatoes and 2 tins of water
cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on slow
once all the vegetables are tender blend them up in your food processor, blender or use a stick blender
make them super smooth
return to the slow cooker and switch it to warm
cook the gnocchi on the stove until tender
add to the slow cooker and stir
season to taste with salt, add the herbs
ladle into bowls and garnish with freshly cracked pepper and a nice sprinkle of cheese